William was born on 10 May 1803 in Cumberland County, NC. I believe he was born in the part of Cumberland County that later became Harnett County. He was the third child of parents William STANCIL and Edney MOORE. His siblings were Wealthy Jane, Alexander, and John.
When he was 31, William married Sallie MORGAN, daughter of Jesse MORGAN and Esther ALLEN, around 1835. Sallie may have been born in Buncombe or Transylvania County, NC. I need to do a lot more work on her family.
William Young STANCIL shows up in Johnston County, NC in the 1850 census at age 44.
William and wife Sallie had a whopping 9 children:
- Elizabeth STANCIL was born about 1834.
- Young Allen STANCIL was born on 14 Apr 1833 and died on 03 Sep 1923 in Johnston County, NC at age 91. He married Susan Creech GODWIN on 22 Aug 1858 and another unknown spouse on 22 Aug 1858 in Johnston County, NC. Young served in the Civil War with the NC 24th Infantry.
- Seviah STANCIL was born about 1837.
- Joseph STANCIL was born in 1840 and died about Jul 1889 in Johnston County, North Carolina, USA. He married Sarah E GODWIN on 15 Mar 1867. Sarah was the sister of his bother Young's wife, Susan.
- Prudia STANCIL was born about 1841.
- Moses STANCIL was born on 29 Aug 1842 and died on 02 Sep 1923 in Johnston County, NC. He married Emily MASSENGILL on 11 Dec 1866. Moses was apparently a colorful character and was married 4 times. He served in the Confederate Army AND the Confederate Navy.
- Edney STANCIL was born about 1845.
- Aaron STANCIL was born about 1848.
- William STANCIL was the baby of the family born in Feb 1849 and died on 23 Oct 1916 in Johnston County, NC at age 68. He married Mary Ann Rebecca MASSENGILL on 05 Jan 1873. These were my great great grand parents.
William died in 1880 in Johnston County, NC. Would love to know where he is buried! Working on that...