As part of my determination to get organized, I've put my handy dandy ScanSnap through it's paces. I love my new scanner! It's so quick and easy.
Here's what I did:
- Marched through 30 years of research in file folders taking up two file cabinet drawers.
- Tossed the junk and sorted the rest into documentation type: birth certificate, death certificate, marriage bond, etc.
- Sorted each type of document by surname.
- Scoured each document for missed details and added those to my database. (This look a LONG time!)
- Created a binder for each major surname. (Don't ask me what I'm going to do about my minor surnames. Have no idea.)
- Created divider tabs for each type document.
- Put the document into a sheet protector and in it's appropriate place in the binder.
- Made sure each document had been scanned and assigned to the appropriate ancestor in my database.
- Proudly placed the binder in my bookcase.