This time last year I was totally bald. I'd just finished treatment for breast cancer and I was marching toward a bi-lateral mastectomy. I can personally attest that baldness is freeing in many ways. Now, a year down the road, I'm recovering quickly and putting the ugliness behind me.
However, I've been struck by how many of my ancestors died from cancer. Talk about running in the family! If simply having a family history of cancer of any sort put me line for breast AND ovarian cancer, then I came by it honestly.
- My mom, Ann Gladys ALLEN STANCIL, had stomach, lung, liver, and kidney cancer.
- Her sister, Grace Elizabeth ALLEN LEE, had breast cancer.
- My first cousin, Brenda GLOVER MARCOM, died from ovarian cancer.
- My maternal grandmother, Ethel DAVIS ALLEN, died from pancreatic cancer.
- My paternal grandmother, Ada Lou JOHNSON STANCIL, died from ovarian cancer.
- My great aunt, Meona DAVIS, died from thyroid cancer.